Ok I’ve just made myself the simplest, yummiest dinner and I feel compelled to share it. Lured by the wonderful array of fresh fish available at the fishmonger today I decided to resist the urge for a dirty takeaway this evening and try tilapia instead. It’s a gorgeous fish! Odd as it sounds, the flavour is slightly reminiscent of the spices used in KFC. So maybe next time you get a craving, consider this as a healthy alternative. Ok maybe not. Maybe just eat it for the sheer pleasure of the flavour in and of itself.
200g small potatoes (I used a mix of Charlotte and Royal Blue)
1 cup of cauliflower florets
1 Tilapia fillet
Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Salt and boil some water and add the potatoes.
2. Place cauliflower in a small saucepan, add enough milk to just cover and gently poach. Don’t let the milk boil as you will be using it later.
3. When the potatoes are almost cooked place the samphire in a colander and put this on top of the potatoes to steam.
4. When the cauliflower is cooked, remove the milk and purée. Add enough milk loosen the mix to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Season with White pepper and Maldon salt to taste.
5. Pan fry the tilapia. It will only take a couple if minutes on each side to be ready.
6. To serve, place the cauliflower on a plate in a circle. Thickly slice the potato and place on top. Add the samphire and then top with the tilapia. Season with lemon juice and cracked pepper to taste.
This recipe serves one person. One of these days I’m going to write a cookbook full of recipes for one!